Kinderhook Reformed Church Worship Service
Route 9 & Church Street, Kinderhook, NY
10:00 A.M. September 16, 2012
“To Know Christ and to Make Him Known”
Rev. Rudy Visser, Pastor
A WARM WELCOME TO VISITORS
You are invited to sign our Guest Book at the church entrance and to fill out a pew card and place it in the offering plate. We would like to get to know you better, and invite you to enjoy refreshments & fellowship in the Fellowship Hall following Worship.
Ushers: Jeff Barmen, Derick Latorre, Steve Shpur, Bob Wildermuth
Greeter(s): Patti Varga
Preschool Nursery facility available downstairs.
Celebration of Worship
WELCOME / ANNOUNCEMENTS
*GATHERING SONG - Hymn #92 Crown Him with Many Crowns
*GREETING AND PASSING OF THE PEACE
CALL TO WORSHIP - Psalm 99:1 ,3, 5
The LORD reigns, let the nations tremble;
he sits enthroned between the cherubim,
let the earth shake.
Let them praise your great and awesome name -
he is holy.
Exalt the LORD our God and worship at his footstool; he is holy.
CHILDREN'S PRAYER OF BLESSING
Heavenly Father, bless our children with wisdom. Give them a constant hunger for more, and fill them with the knowledge of your Word and your will. Grant them a life-giving reverence for you, for that is where wisdom begins.
(Children are dismissed to their teachers for Sunday School.)
Celebrating His Love and ProvisionPRAISE SONGS
MORNING PRAYER and PERSONAL CONFESSION
Allowing God to Shape Us
SCRIPTURE LESSON Mark 8:27-38 (p. 714)
MESSAGE "But What About you? Who Do You Say I Am?"
PRAYER OF THANKS
Giving Ourselves for God's Glory
WE GIVE OUR TITHES AND OFFERINGS / OFFERTORY
PRAYER OF INTERSESSION and THE LORD'S PRAYER
*CLOSING SONG – Hymn #540 Take Time to Be Holy
*BENEDICTION, & RESPONSE – My Friends, May You Grow in Grace
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen. (2x)
~WEIGHT WATCHERS PROGRAM!~
Regular meetings are being held at 9:30 am on Friday mornings for the next 12 weeks.
*THE CHURCH FAMILY MINISTRY WILL MEET
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, AT 10 AM*
YOUTH GROUP HAS STARTED AGAIN AT KRC, TUESDAY NIGHTS, FROM 7-8:30 PM. All youth who entered Grades 6 through Grade 12 this fall are welcome to attend! Just like VBS, we have students who attend from various churches and who bring friends, so please feel free to join in the events, activities, and projects we are planning. Parents - you are always welcome to stay & help out if you'd like. We hope to see you here on Tuesday.
MAYORGA CONCERT AT KINDERHOOK REFORMED CHURCH
NEXT SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, at 4 p.m., Kinderhook Reformed Church will present a concert in our sanctuary featuring two world class musicians, Franco Spoto, tenor, and Lincoln Mayorga, pianist, who will come together in an afternoon of Broadway hits and international favorites as well as popular classics. This concert is made possible, in part, with public funds from the decentralization program of the New York State Council on the Arts administered through the Community Arts Grants fund in Columbia County by Greene County Council on the Arts.
Franco Spoto has performed extensively throughout the U.S., Canada, and Europe in concert, musical theater productions, and opera. Among many highlights were concerts with the New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein. He has also performed on Broadway as well as the Great Performances series on PBS.
Lincoln Mayorga, pianist, conductor, and composer, successfully crosses among classical, popular, and jazz music. He has been pianist, arranger, and conductor to such artists as Marni Nixon, Johnny Mathias, Barbra Streisand, Vikki Carr, Mel Torme, Phil Ochs, Andy Williams, Frank Zappa, and Quincy Jones, as well as staff pianist for Walt Disney Studios, and he has contributed to the soundtracks of many movies. In addition, he has collaborated with such musicians as Itzhak Perlman as well as distinguished American orchestras and the Moscow Philharmonic.
While this concert is open to all, a donation of $15 will be suggested at the door to help defray the expenses of advertising, piano tuning, and remunerations to the performers. Co-sponsorships of $50, offered in advance of the concert or at the door, would be greatly appreciated and will cover the suggested donations for two people to attend the event. Advance co-sponsorships may be dropped into the offering plate made out to “Kinderhook Reformed Church” with “Spoto/Mayorga” on the memo line. A list of all those who co-sponsor in advance will be available at the door the afternoon of the concert.
As part of Kinderhook Reformed Church’s 300th Anniversary Celebration, we are honored to have Franco Spoto and Lincoln Mayorga paired for this concert. Please join us for a wonderful afternoon.
*The Property Ministry is in need of more people to help on the ministry. If you are interested and able, please contact Al Dick.*
KRC SMALL GROUPS
KRC offers a small group opportunity at 9 am Thursdays at the church. The group is continuing its study, “Battlefield of the Mind,” based on the book by Joyce Meyer. All are encouraged to attend, and walk-ins are welcome!
YOU ARE INVITED TO JOIN "THE OLDE DUTCH & SUCH" CRAFTS GROUP 9:30 AM FRIDAY MORNINGS, IN THE FELLOWSHIP HALL. We are creating items for the KRC fair/bazaar which will take place November 3. Please save wine corks and plastic grocery bags for use in this project. A box is available in the room across from the church office for collecting these materials.
Remember to Pray for
• those who do not know Christ, or are struggling in their faith or with other spiritual issues.
• KRC’s Consistory members and administrative ministries.
• KRC programs & projects and those administering them: Sunday School; Youth Group; church restoration; tricentennial events.
• small group ministries, adult Bible studies, Community Prayer Group.
• our state and national leaders, that God will grant them the leadership skills, wisdom, and the personal protection needed to govern effectively and safely.
• our missionaries: Dave and Char Alexander (visiting KRC December 9), Perry Jones and Capital City Rescue Mission, Alex and Fran Knauss, Maureen Menard, Dick and Carolyn Otterness, Brian and Bea Post, Seth and Melissa Rogati, Betty Ann Stedwell.
• our children sponsored through Compassion or other agencies..
• those, especially children, victimized by natural disasters; abuses of war and violence; exploitation; neglect; and family hostility.
• families and friends grieving the loss of loved ones.
• those battling or recovering from cancer: Jenny Kline; John Bosquet-Morra; Roman Murynec; Helen Drumm; Tammy DeVito; Dick; Sal Alessi; Melissa M; Judy Iocco; Stephanie; Ron Jensen; Patricia’s mother; Donna Scalera; Tom Saulpaugh.
• those awaiting test results or surgery; recovering from surgery, injury, or illness; chronically ill; or in hospice care: Steve; Doc, friend of Joan and Paul Clause, who suffered a broken leg and may need surgery; Rosemary Gotz; Frank Aiello; Noreen Dick; Raymond McKee; Marc Morales; Sara Schubert; Pete McCardle; Ruth Edge; Blanche Rogers; Jack, grandfather of Patti Varga; Jim Baker’s mother; Dave Ennis’s father; Joan Clause; Florence Rivera; Kathy Schneider’s father in Barnwell; Paul Varga.
• those traveling.
• the hand of God at work in the outcome of John Lyons’s arbitration case.
• those facing challenges, conflicts, difficult decisions: Paul and Tora Lyons; Karina Speer; the Royce Family; Pastor Glenn Metzler battling a blood disorder; the Schuberts as they attempt to sell John’s mother’s home in Troy; Libby Little facing a demanding schedule.
• God’s blessing on those recently engaged/married, expecting babies, new/first-time parents: 1st-time-parents Tom and Jaime (Welcome) Eastman (Baby Evan Anthony Eastman, born Saturday, May 19); Terry Nawrot (twins, Baby Joshua and Baby Brian, born June 29; Brad & Kelly Babic (Baby Taylor Marie); Jeannie and Scott (Baby Luther); the Principis (Baby Gianna Drew).
• those caring for the elderly, displaced, disabled, or ill.
• our residence-bound members: Ken Smith; Murray Leonardson, and Mike Rivera.
• our military men and women, especially Josh Heimroth, recently deployed to Afghanistan - that they may know God’s presence and protection.
• families and friends of our military troops, and victims of warfare & violence worldwide, that they may be blessed with God’s peace and reassurance.
Remember To Thank & Praise God for
• all who serve KRC Ministries by meeting regularly, setting goals, preparing recommendations, & working together to complete projects and responsibilities.
• the encouraging news that Sal Alessi continues to tolerate chemo well and that the tumor and lymph nodes are also responding well to treatment.
• the good report that Karina Speer is home, much improved, and attending school.
• the happy time of good food and fellowship had by the many who attended our recent annual Church Family Picnic.
• Pastor Rudy Visser, a Spirit-filled preacher of the Word and leader of vision.
• the blessing of family and friends.
• the wonderful ways God shows his love to us, especially during difficult times.
• those men and women who have served or are now serving our country, & those who have sacrificed their well-being and lives for the peace & liberties we enjoy.
Regular reports are needed on the progress or condition of all individuals on our prayer and praise lists. If you have updated information, especially regarding individuals whose names appear in bold print, please call the church office.
Please forward praise and prayer requests to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Paul at 859-4158. If you are not already on our email prayer list, and would like to receive prayer and praise requests through email, please contact Paul to have your address added. If you do not have email, contact Jane Smith at 758-6442, and she will be happy to include you in the phone prayer chain.
The Kinderhook Reformed Church Cemetery is sponsoring a BROOKS BAR-B-CUE again this year beginning at 3 p.m. WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 3, on the front and side lawns of the church. All proceeds will go toward operation and maintenance of the cemetery grounds, which has become an increasingly costly ministry to our community over the years. As part of the fundraiser, we will also be selling desserts, at a very reasonable price, to enhance the meal. If you are able to donate baked goods to help supply the dessert menu, please indicate your contribution on the sign-up sheet at the back table.
The Cemetery Committee is counting on your help in making this important fundraising event a success again this year. Please watch and listen for additional details.
The KRC family is cordially invited to the marriage of Derick LaTorre and Heather Donahue
in our sanctuary at 2 pm Saturday, October 6.
Camp Pinnacle is hosting the 2012 Ladies Fall Retreat with Libby Little September 28-30, 2012. Come for a time of Worship and Learning from God's Word. Other activities include hiking, crafts, hayrides, horseback riding, and much more. More information is on the back table.
Jane Deane (1st), Donna Flansburg (5th), Morgan Hickman (5th), Gordie Van Buren (11th - his 86th birthday!), John Bosquet-Morra (13th),
Dawn Van Buren (20th), Sophie Barmen (22nd), Phil Sherman (23rd),
Nancy Baker (26th), Chuck Rothermel (30th).
2012 EVENTS IN CELEBRATION OF OUR 300th YEAR
September 30, 4 pm, Spoto/Mayorga Concert @KRC
November 3, Church Bazaar
November 11, 4 pm Fall concert with organist David Smith & choir
December 16, 3rd Annual Lessons & Carols with organist David Smith & choir
The Eddy Lifeline is offering FREE lifeline installations during the entire month of September, and Community Hospice of Columbia/Greene is offering a Volunteer Training Program during the month of September. More info is available about these opportunities on the back table.
***IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN THE ANTIQUE SAFE UNDER THE STAIRS BY THE PASTOR'S STUDY, PLEASE SPEAK WITH DAWN VAN BUREN***
*Metz Wood Harder is sponsoring FREE flu shots to cardholders of Blue Shield of Northeastern NY, Empire, MVP, & CDPHP on October 3rd from 7:30 - 11:30 am at their office conference room. More information is on the back table.*
*The School for Christian Living & Serving is offering fall daytime Bible study programs. More information is located on the back table.*
YEAR-TO-DATE FINANCIAL REPORT:
Budgeted Distributed YTD
Missions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $4,500 . . . . . . . . . . . . $3,500
Total Income YTD Expenses YTD Reserves w/d YTD 2007 Classis Assessment
$109,471 $123,701 $10,000 Total Assessed. . . $6,456
YTD Contributions. . . $2,144
KRC’s share of support is $6,546 this year for services and resources to be provided for us by the Reformed Church in America at the local, regional, and national levels. EACH MEMBER’S SHARE OF THIS YEAR’S CLASSIS ASSESSMENT HAS BEEN SET AT $81.72, UP ONLY 87¢ FROM LAST YEAR! All who are able to do so are encouraged to offer, over and above regular giving, their share of this support. The full share does not have to be given at one time, but may be given in as many increments as are convenient. For those who are able, but have not yet contributed to the assessment, a donation of $5.45 per week for the remaining 15 weeks of this year would meet an individual member’s share. All contributions made for this purpose should be clearly designated, “Classis Assessment.” MANY THANKS TO THOSE WHO HAVE DONATED A TOTAL OF $2,144 TO DATE TO HELP DEFRAY THIS EXPENSE.
WEBSITE, AND FAX INFORMATION
Email Address – email@example.com
Website Address – kinderhookreformedchurch.com
Rev. Rudy is scheduled to be in his church office
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings.
If you wish to meet with Pastor during these times,
please call ahead for an appointment.
Evenings are set aside for meetings, pastoral visitations, and counseling.
For assistance on Mondays, please call 859-4158
Church Phone 758-6401 Church Fax 758-6402
Phone messages are picked up several times daily.
If you need immediate assistance anytime, please call 859-4158.
KRC 2012-2013 CONSISTORY
Pastor Rev. Rudy Visser, President of Consistory, Classis Delegate
Noreen Dick – ’13, Church Family 758-6640
Patrice Lyons – ’13, Missions 758-8400
Barbara Vosburgh –’13, Stewardship / Treasurer 758-6512
Dave Ennis – ’13, Worship 784-9656
Maureen Mooney – ’12, Evangelism / Clerk 210-6079
Dawn Van Buren – ’13, Cemetery / Pastoral Relations /
Personnel / VP of Consistory 758-7564
Patti Varga–’12, Christian Education 392-4771
John Schubert, Chairman, Classis Financial Committee
KRC Office Manager KRC Office Assistant
Paul Clause – 859-4158 Liz Carroll – 758-6034
Cemetery Supervisor/KRC Sexton
Greg Clause – 369-8472, 758-1338
Calendar of Events
Today, Sept. 16
10:00 am Worship Service
11:15 am Adult Sunday School meets, main floor conference room
Adult Bible study group meets, main floor classroom
Mon., Sept. 17
7:00 pm Consistory meets
Tues., Sept. 18
7 – 8:30 pm KRC Youth Group
Thur., Sept. 20
9:00 am Small Group meets @ KRC - Joyce Meyer study
“Battlefield of the Mind”
10:00 am Community Prayer Group @ KRC
Fri., Sept. 21
9:30 am Olde Dutch and Such crafts group meets @ KRC
9:30 am Weight Watchers meeting
Mon., Sept. 24
10:00 am Church Family Ministry meets
Saturdays through September - Clothing Barn
9:30 am – 12:30 pm North Chatham United Methodist Church
Saturdays through October 13
10:00 am – Noon Free KRC guided tours
Sun. Sept. 30
4:00 pm Spoto/Mayorga Concert @KRC
Wed., Oct. 3
3:00 pm Brooks BBQ to benefit KRC Cemetery
Sat., Oct. 6
2:00 pm LaTorre/Donahue marriage, KRC sanctuary
Servers Next Sunday, September 23, 2012
Ushers: Al Dick, Merrill Johnson, Leré Visage, Paul Zietsman
Greeter(s): Maureen Mooney